Friday, January 28, 2011

Rock Climbing: 2010 Year in review

I want to try to document, very loosely, the climbing that I've done.  One thing that I've been doing is marking my guidebook with either a "/" or an "X".  A "/" means that I climbed the route and got to the top, but it wasn't a clean lead.  It could be a top-rope, second, or a lead with a hang or fall, but it wasn't a clean lead.  An "X" means that it was a clean lead, and there is nothing more that I could do with it.  If I attempted the climb and wasn't able to finish it at all it gets nothing.  As you can see I put alot of emphasis on leading, and don't consider a climb fully climbed unless lead. 

2010 was a pretty bad year for me.  It was the year that I had to work Saturdays.  Hence I was excluded from many weekend trips.  Much of the climbing I did do was on Sundays.  On the other hand, 2010 was the year that I was in the best physical shape of my life.  I was not able to climb much, but I certainly was able to work out alot.  I found that as long as I stay in shape I can pretty much tie in to a rope and pick up right where I left off.  What follows is a quantitative summary of 2010.

2010
Total Days Rock Climbing: 18
Gunks: 7
Seneca Rocks: 6
Great Falls: 3
Annapolis Rocks: 1
Old Rag: 1
Indoor Climbing: 0
Sport Climbing: 0

5.11b  -- hardest top-rope
5.9  -- 1 flash, 3 redpoint, 1 hangdog

Not bad considering I went on a trip about once every 3 weeks at most during the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment