Sunday, April 10, 2011

Frederick Fifty

 

Went on another fantastic ride today.  I was originally planning on taking my first trip to Seneca Rocks of the year but I got sidetracked when LA Fitness called me for a job interview on Sunday.  Well I guess that might have been a little (tiny bit) more important than going climbing.  The good thing was that the interview was in the morning, leaving most of the rest of the day free.  And I got the job :)

 

P1000302

 

I have ridden close to 2,000 miles on my ‘06 Specialized Allez Comp without changing any parts of the drive train.  I decided I didn’t want to have a chain break in the middle of a ride (99% of the time leads to total wipeout) and bought one from online.  It is always cheaper to buy parts online as shops have a 500% markup.  However since I couldn’t be bothered to change it myself (total PITA) I took it to Bike Doctor Crofton.  Of course they told me yeah your old chain was done 500 miles ago and so is your cassette.  I actually stopped there on the way to my bike ride!  So with a new cassette and chain I headed over to Frederick.  The new cassette cost me $90 at the shop.  When I checked online tonight I found several places that have it for $59.

I love my new Garmin.  It may be the best thing I bought in the past 4-5 years.  I just plug into the website: Frederick Maryland, 40-60 miles, bike ride.  And like magic I got a perfect ride in my GPS for an area that I have never been to.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/54291894

P1000299

 

The actual distance was a hair under 50 miles.  It started with some serious hills in the first half.  I know what goes up must come down.  But for some reason there didn’t seem to be any down.  Until I hit Catoctin Park.  Then it seemed like I was flying. 

I love the 50 mile distance.  A nice half century.  You can bust it out and still make it home in time for dinner.  And you don’t even have to wake up early.

No comments:

Post a Comment