Thursday, September 8, 2011

Enduring Patagonia review

 

This is a short review of a book which I believe every aspiring alpinist should read.  Well it’s not really a review, more of a recommendation with a really great passage from the book.

“Why climb, especially in Patagonia, given such failure? As I said in the opening chapter, there is no sentence, no paragraph that will explain why. Why refuses distillation. Consider those two classic alpine saws: “Because it’s there" and “If you’ve got to ask you ain’t ever gonna know.” Both strike me as true, but inadequate. And then my favorite, courtesy of Donini: “Because it’s the only thing I’ve ever been any good at.” Great sound bites, yes, but whole truth does not jump out of a sound bite. Such quips are also dismissals.

Perhaps the best answer is: because I love it. I love it even as I am freezing my ass on this cold, dark bivy high on the walls of Aguja Saint-Exupéry. I love everything about it without qualification. I love to coil ropes and to carry heavy loads. I love the sky and I love the storm, the ice, and the stone. I love to succeed and I love to try. I love to wait and I love to act; I love to shiver and I love to sweat. I love the freedom and I love the discipline. I love Patagonia, and I love to climb.”

Crouch, Gregory (2002-03-05). Enduring Patagonia (Kindle Locations 2471-2479). Random House. Kindle Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment